onsdag 26 juni 2013

How to Update / Upgrade from Linux Mint 14 Nadia to Linux Mint 15 Olivia

Hello Linux Users. In this article I will show you how to upgrade / update your Linux Mint 14 Nadia to Linux Mint 15 Olivia, by changing the repositories and fully updating system with apt.
Use these two oneliners to replace all “quantal” with “raring” and “nadia” with “olivia”, in order to get the needed repos.
$ sudo sed -i 's/quantal/raring/' /etc/apt/sources.list
$ sudo sed -i 's/nadia/olivia/' /etc/apt/sources.list

Fully update the system
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

 
After this happens, your apt manager will ask you if you want to new configuration files, or you prefer to keep the old ones. I usually type Y, to accept the new files. The old ones will be in stored in the same directory as the new ones, but with the appendix .dpkg-old, so if you are not pleased with the new settings, you can restore your old ones.
Upgrade:
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reboot:
$ sudo shutdown -r now
This is it. Enjoy.

Share and Enjoy

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google Plus
  • Email
  • RSS

Related Posts

Tagged with: , , , , ,
Posted in The Linux and Unix Articles!
39 comments on “How to Update / Upgrade from Linux Mint 14 Nadia to Linux Mint 15 Olivia
  1. Ray Lillard says:
    Didn’t work for me. I loaded fresh Nadia, did the updates and followed above instructions. Can’t login as user.
    Also this: sudo apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    should be: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    or: sudo ( apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade )
  2. Ray Lillard says:
    My .xsessuin-errors contains after login failure:
    /etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup…
    localuser:xyz being added to access control list
    Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
    Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
    Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
    Is this install salvageable? or should I just wait for the real thing.
  3. Mike says:
    Worked perfectly for me! Thank you very much!!!
  4. twii says:
    You murdered my clock!! Outside of that it works.
  5. De.Bol says:
    Works like a charm!
  6. Bert Vermeulen says:
    While doing the above something went wrong. I don’t know what as the screen froze. After leaving it for a number of hours it was still frozen so I had to reset the netbook to start it. Now it only comes back with a terminal window and the loggon prompt. If I give the command $ sudo shutdown -r now it tells me “dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run “sudo dpkg –configure -a to correct the problem” If I run that command it comes back with > but what do I do after that?
  7. Bert says:
    Just an update on the previous comment where the netbook froze. The problem was solved by rebooting into maintenance mode and selecting repair broken packages, after running this, the unit booted up into the latest version, and all works well so far.
  8. Thanks. I will try this. While I understand why Mint Upgrades work best with a fresh intall, playing around with the partitions on a multiboot system is a lot of work.
    And also, backup files before starting on this.
  9. Ray says:
    I’d like to suggest 3 edits to the second paragraph, which currently reads:
    “Use this two oneliners to replace all ‘precise’ with ‘quantal’ and ‘maya’ with ‘nadia’, in order to get the needed repos.”
    I would revise it, if all agree, as follows:
    “Use these two oneliners to replace all ‘quantal’ with ‘raring’ and ‘nadia’ with ‘olivia,’ in order to get the needed repos.”
    Which is to say (1) “this”–>”these”; (2) version names matching those in the oneliners; and (3) commas inside quotemarks (this last mostly because I’m an editor and can’t help myself :) ).
    • Geekster says:
      thanks RAY. i have corrected the mistakes.
    • Anderson says:
      Personally, I always put the commas outside the quotes when the words aren’t part of the containing sentence’s structure. In a technical case like this, I think it’s even more important that the commas appear outside, lest someone put literal commas inside their ‘sources.list’.
  10. All of my sources were in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/…
    I had to issue the following commands to update the sources, after `cd`ing to the above directory:
    $ for f in `ls -1 *.list`; do sudo sed -i ‘s/quantal/raring/’ $f; done;
    $ for f in `ls -1 *.list`; do sudo sed -i ‘s/nadia/olivia/’ $f; done;
  11. dorfdepp says:
    Perfect!! Works very fine and fast. Download needś with 100 Mbits round about 3 mins., Update need approximately 8 mins with a i5 Core with 4 CPUś. Thanks a lot for the perfect instruction. Iḿ a nerd because i work with Linux since 3 days. Sorry for my bad english, I am from Germany.
  12. Metallinatus says:
    Thanks, everything seems to be working fine, the only thing I noticed is that no sound was played after the boot and after the login…. the sounds were removed or this is a bug from using this upgrade method?
  13. Danilo says:
    Works perfectly! Thanks a lot!
  14. Dan Caseley says:
    Worked for me. Found the downloads a tad slow from the linuxmint repos – maybe they’re under a tad of load right now? :)
    Word of warning: Switch off your power saving options before you begin. My screen went to sleep during the updates and couldn’t present the login screen again (presumably a dependency from auth -> login screen -> new mdm or somesuch) and whilst I could watch the dpkg processes spawning and closing from tty1, the very next time I was prompted whether to accept the package maintainers config file, I was hosed since I couldn’t connect to that session to answer the question. A “sudo reboot”, followed by “sudo dpkg –configure -a” saved me, but it was a bum-squeaky few minutes.
    I’d dd’d off the root partition before I began, so I had a safety net, and I’d advise everyone else to make sure that they’ve got some sort of backup to return to before they embark on the “advanced” route of upgrading.
  15. Antonio Carlos says:
    Works perfectly! Good job!
  16. zbit says:
    Ray Lillard: I changed my WM through login screen (XFce) and everything works fine…
  17. Nic Deane says:
    Thank you so much for this tutorial! All my settings, e-mails, etc, and especially my HPLIP connections were carried over so I haven’t had to update and run HPLIP again as I have always had to do with a usual install. Brilliant!
  18. Matthias R. Koch says:
    Upgrades 3 PC’s and 1 Laptop during an afternoon – all went smoothly !!
    Thank you for a simple and effective way to Upgrade !!
  19. Remes Lenicov says:
    Went perfectly well
    Thank you !
    Sent from Linux Mint Olivia
  20. Herbie says:
    This upgrade worked perfectly. No errors. Thanks for the information. Great job.
    This is what makes the Linux Community so great, people always willing to help.
  21. Matt says:
    Followed the procedure and now I can’t get past the login screen. I enter my name, then password, then blank screen. Thankfully I have everything backed-up, so I’ll wipe and do a fresh 15 install. I know most people have commented that everything went smoothly but not for me.
    • pen says:
      That’s why I have a separate /home partition… Though it requires a little bit of fiddling after the installation, but safer this way.
    • Dan Caseley says:
      I’ve noticed a similar peculiarity with my upgrade – after the login, I see about 20s of black before anything happens. Have you tried a different session type? Mint 15 offers me 6 or 7 different desktop managers at logon.
      • Horace says:
        I have the same thing, and had something similar in LM 14. The difference for me was in 14 the machine was very sluggish for about 15 seconds after showing the desktop, then all was well. Seems like 15 stays blank until everything is loaded, then gives control over to me. No sluggishness now, but I have to wait the extra time. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
        • Geekster says:
          @horace: it upgrades to linux mint 15! the slow boot process is because of the kernel 3.8.*.
          • Horace says:
            Holy cow, you’re right about the Kernel. Updated to 3.9.4 and boot time is cut roughly in half. Thank you!
            Still a little put off by the mention of Ubuntu everywhere, though. I installed LM 15 in VirtualBox and I’m finding a few differences. In the in-place upgrade I have two ‘System Settings’ for example, and under ‘System Info’ the distribution is ‘Ubuntu 13.04.’ They seem to work the same, but it’s a little worrisome. Anyone else seeing this?
  22. pen says:
    Goody, seems to work. Thanks!
  23. Piet Ceanadach says:
    If I do this upgrade from 14 to 15, will I lose all the customisation that I have done, and will I lose my VM with WinXP?
    Slante, Piet.
  24. bobbysamd says:
    It worked pretty well for me. For some reason my machine stopped during the upgrade/update process. I restarted my machine, booted into Linux Mint and got to a command line. I recall running “sudo apt-get dist-upgrade” which completed the process.
    The process took a little more than an hour – not much different than upgrading other Ubuntu distros via update manager.
    Thanks a lot! :)
  25. Piet Ceanadach says:
    Well! I went ahead and took a chance and it looks like it worked flawlessly … Saved me a lot of time :)
  26. Horace says:
    I ran this exactly and it seemed to work flawlessly. Took a long time, but it finished, rebooted, and it appears to have worked. However, nearly everywhere it states that the release is Ubuntu 13.04, NOT linux Mint 15. I have Ubuntu logos places, etc. Bootchart states this in the header. When I go into System Setttings | System Info, I get that I’m running Cinnamon 1.8.6, the distro is Ubuntu 13.04: raring, the Kernel is 3.8.0-23-generic.
    Anyone else who has used this process seeing this? And have I gone from Mint 14 to 15 or from Mint 14 to Ubuntu?
    • DSV says:
      Simply edit your /etc/issue, /etc/issue.net and /etc/lsb-release files to get rid of Ubuntu references and put in the Mint name and release numbers.
  27. PengouinPdt says:
    Yeah, so run!
    And after, if you have Linux Mint XFCE, and when trying to connect onto graphical session, if you’ve the message ‘Failed to load session “Ubuntu” !’.
    CTRL + ALT + F1 to run in session mode terminal. Tape your ID and pass and after tape :
    echo xfce4-session > ~/.xsession
    And after, CTRL + ALT + F8 to retry an attempt to connect graphical session!
  28. Hired Goon says:
    Tried other instruction from Linux community forum which did not work. Thank goodness someone linked to this site. Worked nicely thanks.
  29. Yehuda says:
    1. Great info, works like a charm.
    2. Do NOT do it during working hours, nothing should go wrong, but it might, and when it does it could take some time to return to normal.
    3. use the screen tool to perform the upgrade, so if something happens and you lose access to the GUI, you can always access the process from one of the terminals (Alt+Ctrl+F[1-7]).
    4. Do NOT lock your screen during the upgrade, you might not be able to return.
5 Pings/Trackbacks for "How to Update / Upgrade from Linux Mint 14 Nadia to Linux Mint 15 Olivia"
  1. [...] Ref: How to Update / Upgrade from Linux Mint 14 Nadia to Linux Mint 15 Olivia | LinuxG.net [...]

Inga kommentarer: